Wellness Wednesday – Mid-Year Check-in with Yourself (RESET)
Each year in December we often set goals or New Year’s Resolutions and in the following December we look back and realize we haven’t achieved what we wanted and set new goals or the same ones over again. This creates that “vicious cycle” of creating and NOT achieving our goals.
This year I decided to do things a bit differently. So instead of waiting until December to see if I missed the mark, I’m doing a mid-year check-in on my goals. This way I can see where I am making progress and what areas of my life still need work.
What prompted me to check-in with myself was my annual check-up with my doctor which showed I had gained 8 pounds since last year.
“WHAT!!! How could this be I said to myself?”
Well of course I know exactly how this could be, I haven’t been working out at the gym as much as I did last year and I have begun to fall into bad eating habits so of course I gained 8 pounds.
On June 2nd I completed a 5K race which many would say, “Well done” but I was not prepared and it showed. It took me 57 minutes to complete a race that I ran (walk/ran) in 46 minutes last September. I felt as though I was going to pass out when I ran across the finish line. Thankfully my husband was there to catch me. Once I caught my breath and came to my senses I made a plan to get back on track.
Here is what I am doing to RESET and crush my fitness goal for this year.
- Pack a healthy breakfast and lunch each day as well as healthy snacks. No fast food!
- Drink at least one protein shake per day to ensure I am getting my 80+ grams of protein in daily.
- No eating after 7pm
- Drink more water.
- Hit the gym or other walk/run, swim, Zumba activity at least 5 days per week and restart the Couch to 5K (C25K) training.
- Weigh myself once a week to ensure I am staying on track.
For most of us our goals don’t stop with physical fitness but encompass other important areas of our lives as well.
Financial fitness is another area I have been working on. As I begin to plan for retirement sometime in the next ten years I am mindful that I waste a lot of money on God knows what. So my plan for this year and going forward is to understand better where every single cent is going and to eliminate waste.
Here is the current plan:
- Pay off credit cards starting with those with the highest interest rate.
- Decrease dependence on credit and use cash when possible and credit cards for emergencies ONLY!
- Increase my 401K contributions.
Another goal that I have for this year is to continue to make self-care a priority. You may ask what does that look like? Well for me my self-care looks like this:
- Quiet time in the morning, at least 30 minutes to pray and meditate. This is generally at 4:30am when everyone else is asleep.
- During this time there is no technology!
- This could also include a peaceful walk
- Massage at least once a month
- Exercise at least 30 minutes a day, 5 days a week or more if possible
- I do not listen to music that promotes violence, disrespects women or tears people down “Garbage in; Garbage out”
- I eat a healthy breakfast
- No Toxic people in my life (period)
- Bedtime by 9:00pm weeknights and 10pm on weekends
I’m still striving to find time for the following:
I would strongly recommend that you not only reset, but reevaluate the goals you have set to determine if they are still relevant and realistic. Your goals may no longer be relevant for various reasons and they also may not be realistic. We oftentimes don’t set SMART goals and we need to break them down into smaller achievable goals.
Finally, let’s celebrate the small victories we have made thus far this year. Treat yourself to something small to reward the work you have done and the work you will continue to do to finish this year out strong!
Rochelle Redding, M.S. is a wife, mother of four, and the owner and operator of Rochelle Redding Coaching and Consulting Services (RRCCS). RRCCS is a spiritually-based coaching service dedicated to helping women be their best selves and achieve wellness in all aspects of their life. Learn about life coaching services with Rochelle by clicking here.